Friday, August 22, 2008

Race prep went well. Ran out there last week and was railing.

Got to the race Saturday and decided to not get to serious. Big mistake. Who ever says that the start doesn't matter is on crack. I rolled out in last in no hurry and picked a couple peeps off on the first climb. Got stuck behind a guy that hadn't pre-rode and was struggling with the trail. By time we got by the leaders were long gone and there was a conga line forming behind him. Feel bad tho, someone passed him and immediately crashed and took him out. Once i got open trail i tried to see how many spots i could grab. The trail was kinda greasy due to no rain and a dusty trail. I got some people on the climbs and more on the descents. Got caught by the guy from earlier and we traded spots thru the race. Realized i lost my 2nd water bottle 1/2 way thru the 2nd lap and ran the rest of the race with no water. I backed it down and held my spot. Mid pack finish is ok in my book.

Ran Platte wed night and had a good time. Quasi's didn't hook as well as hoped but it was more rider error than tire issues. I need to ride out there more often to get the pucker factor down and just let it flow. Need to force a bigger gear too. I could have rode several laps at the pace we were running without any worry. Having gears is kinda nice at times....

No comments: