Monday, November 09, 2009

Ahhh, what a weekend! Got out to Calvin Crest for some trail work. We added close to a mile of pretty technical trail. Wish i could have rode it... Unfortunately, my ego got the best of me. I'm pretty good at cleaning difficult sections and when Dale told me that they couldn't clean a section the other day, i knew i had to go for it. Ya, i didn't clean it either. Fell off a bank with my left foot clipped in and fractured 2 bones in my ankle. Now it's off to the doc to decide what they are going to do with it... The xrays aren't exciting enough to post, so i'll leave them for later...

**Edit** I guess i didn't break 2 bones but one bone twice. The breaks are about 3" apart on the minor ankle bone. Get to go in next week and they are going to decide if i am going to need plates/screws. Hopefully i will just get stuck in this boot for 4 weeks and be good to go. Either way, i'm done till the new year pretty much. So many things planned for the trails...guess they will still be there in the spring...

6 comments:

Oldandintheway said...

Chris,
I hope your ankle isn't too bad and that you aren't out for too long, that crash sucked! You should get to name that section, you helped give it life and it bit you in the ass, some thanks. Take care of that ankle.

buconine said...

Ya, we discussed that section on the ride home. I think it is going to get some revamping before the trail opens. I'm all for challenging techie sections but not when they drop you off the side of a bluff...lol.

I was needing a bit of an ego check, i got it! I'm more pissed about not riding the new section than falling down...

You guys all busted butt out there. CC is going to be sweet due to the hard work of a few dedicated people. Thanks again for all the help!

Stratomatic said...

Hope that ankle heals up fast and strong Chris. And don't be trying to mount a pedal cleat on your cast! :) Just let us know if you need anything. -Paul

TP said...

Bummer! keep us posted on how things work out. Maybe we can catch up in Lincoln during the CX weekend in 2 weeks?

TP

dale said...

Hopefully you won't need hardware for the bone to set well.

The tower trail is fun, the bluff drop is quite narrow in places. One corner needs to use the wall more like we did higher up.

I'm thinking the first switchback to the tower needs reworking - actually going to the right of current entry and riding upto the second switchback. The current entry can be an exit for a future rollercoaster a little south.

Hoping to go to CC this Sat or Sun afternoon to flag grass to singletrack, rework tower entry, and at least clear fall area for buconine's ankle popper! 8-)

buconine said...

I hear ya, i don't want hardware either. I can work till about 3 then i'm just shelled. This going to be a looong month. At least my foot is the niftiest shade of purple!

I wish i could have rode it Dale. It would be nice to get some riders out and get the trail ridden in before too many changes are made. That loamy dirt is like riding on carpet and until it is ridden in, will sap the power out of your legs. Look how much faster the first section got after 5 riders doing a few laps.

I think on my little bluff section, you might be better off knocking the first big root out. Those 2 roots are too close together on that steep off a climb. If we pull the first root, maybe the deer won't dig it up so bad and people won't stall between the roots like i did.

Either way, you did a fantastic job on the layout of that trail. I can't wait to heal up and hammer some laps out at cc!