Friday, April 17, 2009

wnr was a lewis n clark. Not what the old, fat, slow guy was looking for. I went anyway and got my ass handed to me. There were 3 fast guys, a semi fast guy and me. At least i made it out of the parking lot without being dropped. We tried the new entrance which has you back tracking the trail to the bottom then riding a normal lap. I'm happy i made all the climbs but i really need to do something to stop riding like such a puss.

2 years and 30lbs ago, i was fairly quick. I railed corners, bunnyhopped thru root sections and had no fear of getting some air. Not anymore. When the trail points down, i pucker up. I wish i had some coal, i'd had diamonds by the time i finished that lap at lewis. Arms locked, brake pulled and i think i am going to die. What the heck am i so scared of? I've crashed plenty, it's part of riding hard. Ever sense crashing and blowing my shoulder, i have backed way down. There are occasional glimmers of hope but they are short lived.

Looking back at my less pudgy, faster me makes me realize what i am doing differently. I rode alot. Waaay more than now. Wed night bike way ride at Platte. Sunday morning bacon rides, sun after noon roadie rides with Matt, Scott, Ed and Steve. BMX track 2-3 times a week on my cruiser. Sneaking out for a lap or 2 of tranq at lunch. Riding to the store with the kids on the tandem. Man, i rode alot..

Weapons of choice at that time.
Monocog 29er, 30lbs of rigid steel, crappy braked single speed. 40 x 15 @ manawa, 34 x 15 everywhere else. That bike was pure fun and i could rail it. That was about the time i started dropping matt for the first time.
Cracknfail roadie. 100 dollar craigslist score that got some heavy miles on Sun afternoons.
24" cruiser, the shoulder killer. Bike geared so huge that everyone told me i'd never make it around the track. I rocked that sucker and proved them wrong.
The explosif 29 that i hated with a passion but was beautiful. Broke that sucker in a month.
The Kula 29 that replaced it was my favorite bike ever. 36 x 16 ftmfw everywhere.
the mighty death tandem. 80lbs of ss, coaster brake, mustache barred hell. Me and k rode it everywhere. Picked up a 50lb geared one and it just wasn't the same.

All those steeds but the gt cruiser are gone. My Sycip is my lone weapon of choice for now. The renewed quest for milage has begun. Schools out in a month and it is time to commute. I can't afford a roadie in any way. Found a left over fixie/ss langster for dirt cheap. I am thinking this is the way to go. Get rid of the goofy ass track bars, gear it to be unrideable and hammer it ss to work. Flip it to fixie for path rides and see how long till my knees fall off. I can jump on papio trail a mile from work and ride a bit on the way home to get a few extra miles.

next is the bountiful gut that i have bestowed upon myself. Back to slim fast 2 meals a day, no snacks and a sensible dinner. I dropped 20lbs in a month that way 2 years ago, i can do it again. Smokes also have to go. 60 bucks a week that is being wasted. That is my fixie fund to get it bought by next months end.

Hmmm, back to 165lbs, in shape. All i'd have to do then is re-attatch my balls and start riding like i used to. It's a nice dream, we'll see how it works out....

No comments: