Wednesday, December 16, 2009

This will probably be a long and incoherent ramble about bike racing, both road and mountain. I apologize now if your brain melts. These are my opinions and please leave yours to tell me where i am right and wrong in your opinion. The meds i am on scatter my thoughts at times, so i'll apologize in advance...


A return to grass roots racing. I look back to the 80's when i first started racing. There was not cat 5 class. I think it was a citizens class or something like that. You had guys on about anything for bikes, some in cut off jeans shorts and it was fun and competitive. My first race was the nebraska state games. I remember getting yelled at for still having my bags on my touring bike when i signed up for the race. I didn't know any better and neither did most of the rest of the people in that class. It was a blast. I ended up in a sprint in the crit and actually won. The next few races were more of the same. Fun people, great races, good times. I made alot of new riding friends.

Fast forward to about 8 years ago. I'd gotten back into riding on the weekends for fun. We'd go out on 30-40 mile rides on the weekends, sprint for who was buying the first round and having a good time. I heard about a race in town and thought i'd sign up. I was one of the fast guys in the group and thought it would be fun. I roll up to the line on my 20 year old race bike and immediately start catching grief. Wow, i didn't know this was a vintage race, i've never seen downtube shifters before, umm, you do know you're wearing mtb shoes... Sorry i didn't show up on a 3K bike for a cat5 race. What a bunch of snobs. Race starts, i'm in 3rd place...looks good. 3rd corner the 2 goons in front of me go down and i have to lock up the brakes to keep out of the mess. The rest of the pack flys by and i can't re-connect. Pulled by the 4th lap. Wow, this racing stuff is fun, just like the old days...not.

My point of all this rambling is that to get new people into our sport, we need a class for the weekend warrior. Nobody wants to get pulled half way thru a race or get lapped on the 3rd lap. I understand that for some people that can be motivation to improve. For others that is the reason to hang the bike in the garage and think that cycling isn't for you. That's why there needs to be a true beginner class. Something for the weekend riders, the 2-3 day a week commuters and for the general public. Something fun to where if you want to train and move up and really get into it great but also somewhere where those guys that aren't super serious about it still have a chance to race with their buddies and have a good time. Make a 2 podium rule to get bumped in with the cat5's or something to keep the sandbaggers out. Keep it fun! Life is serious enough without turning every free moment into training time.

I like looking at the beginner series in mtb. I have never seen such old outdated beaters out on the trail. These guys are loving it and having fun! Look in the pits before and after the race. Everyone is hanging out, laughing, talking about the race. There's no clic, no sneering at equipment. Everyone is just stoked to be out there. Isn't that why alot of us ride? It's not a perfect series, there are still some sandbaggers. I could probably be included in that list my first year. If the top few steps of the podium are winning by minutes over the field, you need to move up.

Ok, brain just shut off. I'll resume this later...

4 comments:

Oldandintheway said...

i ride and race because it is fun, when it quits being fun i will find something else to do. I know that i am not the next Ned Overend. Don't know much about the road scene because it doesn't appeal to me, but I appreciate and respect those that are in to it, like to watch it but don't want to do it. I'll keep recruiting my oldster (and youngster) buddies to get out and do some races this year, and not take ourselves too seriously. I hope you are on the mend, now you have an excuse to drop back to cat 3!

buconine said...

you, my friend, get the point. Let's bring fun back to racing!

As much as i'd love to, i couldn't do that to the newbs. I probably should have moved to sport after my 3rd race.

To be honest, i'd rather mnr and chat with you guys than race anytime. Not sure if i'll even strap a plate on this year. I'd rather build stuff...

dale said...

building trails can be fun too, if you don't let the poachers or low number of volunteers get you down. THOR provides an organization for land managers to trust rather than a few individuals for a trail's maintenance/building. THOR also provides liability insurance that some land managers require and is wise to have in this "you pay me for getting hurt on my bike" gold diggers.

my biking passions move around, from racing to building/maintenance to commuting. learning/discussing how to improve all of those passions helps feed the fun factor - how to do things better or more efficiently.

wish i could say it was always fun but its not. sometimes you have to do what needs to be done in order to have more lives changed by biking, or to try to be a good example of putting time and money into something you love. then there's balance and not short changing my significant nonbiking others.

buconine said...

I learned the liability thing real quick when i got hurt. That was the first thing asked by my health and disability insurance. Who can we sue to recoup our losses? No one to sue, i made a bad move and fell on my bike. No ones fault but my own. Surprised they actually accepted that statement...

I do need to find that balance. I am way too ocd when it comes to Tranq. I want it perfect every day and need to learn to accept that it isn't possible and still live my life. It's good to have our crew around to slap some sense into me now and then. Something else to work on this year. It's getting to be quite the list....